Last week I taught two classes on the art of dehydrating. In a raw food lifestyle, dehydration is what brings the “crunchy” element and helps you expand the range of meals and textures to enrich your raw menus. This step is important to vary the pleasures, prepare different foods in advance and facilitate the transition to an increasingly raw diet.
One essential dehydrated dish is the veggie burger. It can be prepared in numerous ways, often with nuts, the consistency of which reminds that of meat. It is very nourishing. Combined with mushrooms, nuts provide a wonderful flavor and texture in this recipe. Veggie burgers can thus be very filling and nourishing!
This recipe, from Alissa Cohen’s Living on Live Food, is delicious accompanied with flax crackers or sprouted bread, and raw ketchup. The latter is prepared as follows: blend 1 tomato, 5-6 sundried tomatoes, 3 dates, 1 T apple cider vinegar, 2 T olive oil, salt.
• 4 carrots
• 2 large onions
• 1 cup pecans / walnuts
• 1 cup button mushrooms
• 1 bunch fresh coriander or parsley
• 2 T olive oil
• 1 t salt
• 1/2 t each dry fennel, ground coriander, curry powder
• Cayenne pepper to taste
How to proceed:
1. Begin by peeling and grating the carrots or processing in food processor.
2. Add all other ingredients in the food processor and blend well to create a smooth mass. You can also use a juice extractor with the blank plate for this.
3. Make burger shapes with your hands or any other shape you fancy.
4. Place the burgers on a dehydrator mesh tray covered with a non-stick sheet and dehydrate during 6 hours at 105°F, then take them off the non-stick sheet and dehydrate for another 1-2 hours until desired consistency.
5. These fresh burgers can be stored during a couple of days in the refrigerator. If well dried they will last longer..
• Serve with homemade raw ketchup, mustard, or even cashew mayonnaise!
• Serve as a burger between two slices of bread (choose from previous recipes), covered with a slice of tomato, marinated onions and salad. Healthy and delicious fast-food!
BRING MORE RAW INTO YOUR LIFE, ONE DISH AT A TIME!
For more delicious and simple raw food and wellness recipes:
- Receive your free booklet of raw recipes to get you started
- Come join a raw food class if you are near Morges, Switzerland
Don’t wait another minute to join us and transform your life!